South of Tel Aviv and Jaffa is the town of Bat Yam. The city has existed since 1926, when it was founded as Bayit VeGan (house and garden), but had to be evacuated in 1929 by the British after being attacked by Arabs from Jaffa.
In 1930, it was repopulated and in 1937 it gained city status with a new name, Bat Yam.
In the 1950’s, Bat Yam grew rapidly due to the large number of immigrants flooding into the city.
Today, Bat Yam is known for its beautiful sandy beaches and its newly-renovated seaside promenade.
Originally posted at Israel Today Magazine.