This traditional Israeli winter soup is called Marak Catom, or Orange Soup in English, because of it’s color. Never fear – it does not contain oranges! Instead, it is made with orange or yellow root vegetables for a tasty and satisfying cold weather meal.
Israeli Food: Marak Catom
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 1 onion, chopped
· 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
· 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
· 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
· 8 cups water
· 1/4 cup amaranth or quinoa
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (feel free to substitute the nutmeg with allspice or cinnamon)
Preparation: Sautee the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-60 minutes. Puree and serve hot. The soup can be refrigerated for up to a week, and it also freezes well.