The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is built on the traditional site of Golgotha, as identified by Emperor Constantine’s mother in 326 AD. In nearly 1700 years since it was first built, the church has been demolished, rebuilt, and changed hands several times. Nevertheless it has remained one of the most sacred sites of Christian worship to this day.
Six separate denominations of Orthodox and Catholic Christians control various parts of the complex building. Individual chapels belonging to these denominations mark significant events tied to the crucifixion and burial of Jesus. The last five stations along the Via Delarosa are in or around the church, culminating at the tomb of Jesus.
To learn more about the church, click here.